How to Remove Turmeric Stains from Your Kitchen Cabinets
Turmeric is the spice that gives dishes their intense colors and the most aromatic flavor. Turmeric can basically be used to make virtually any sauce, stew or curry. However, turmeric, when added in large amounts to dough or whilst cooking rice, will sometimes end up staining your kitchen cabinets.
Stains are inevitable in a kitchen, regardless of how clean you keep your place. It can be frustrating to see the turmeric residue on your cabinets, especially since traditional cleaning methods don’t always work. Thankfully, there are ways on how to remove turmeric stains from your kitchen cabinets. Turmeric is just one of many types of food stains that has been known to ruin kitchen cabinets.
Open a window or turn on the fan
- To remove turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets, start by putting on rubber gloves and opening a window or turning on the fan for ventilation.
- Next, dip a sponge into some warm water and gently wipe the turmeric stain away using a circular motion. You can also try dabbing the stain with an old toothbrush dipped in warm water or rubbing alcohol to loosen it from the surface of your cabinets and then wiping it away with a damp cloth.
Mix one part hydrogen peroxide with two parts waters in a bowl
- Soak a rag or paper towel in the solution and lay it over the stain.Leave it there until the stain has lifted (you can leave it overnight if necessary).
- Wipe up the peroxide solution.If the stain is still visible, dip a clean cloth or sponge into some dish soap and scrub at the area until the stain lifts
Dip a soft cloth into the solution
- Blot the stain with the damp cloth until it disappears.If there is still a stain, dip another cloth in plain water and blot the area again to rinse away any remaining cleaning solution.
- If the turmeric stain is particularly stubborn, you can use a very small amount of powdered dishwasher detergent for greasy or oily stains.
- Make a paste of about two tablespoons of powdered dishwasher detergent and enough water to make it spreadable.
- Apply the paste to the stained area and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then, wipe off with a damp cloth.
Scrub the surface of your cabinets
- Make a paste using baking soda and water.
- Apply it directly on the turmeric stain, then scrub it with a sponge or soft brush.
- Rinse with water and wipe dry with a clean cloth. Repeat, if necessary, until the stain is gone.
- Use vinegar to remove stubborn turmeric stains from your kitchen cabinets. Mix one part vinegar and three parts waters in a bowl or spray bottle.
- Spray or apply directly on the stained area and wipe off with a clean cloth while still wet.
- Vinegar is an effective cleaner because it is acidic enough to break down even old stains without damaging the finish of your kitchen cabinets.
- Soak an old rag in pure bleach and use it to clean off any remaining stain from your cabinet’s surface.
Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to make a paste
- Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to make a paste.
- Rub the stain with the paste and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture off with warm water and dry off the cabinet with a towel.For tougher stains, mix 1-part vinegar with 1-part liquid dish detergent.
- Use a soft cloth to dip into the solution, then rub it across the stain in circular motions until the stain dissolves.
- Rinse the area clean and be sure to dry off any excess moisture before closing your cabinets again.
Place the damp cloth over the turmeric stain and let sit for 15 minutes
- Place the damp cloth over the turmeric stain and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Use a plastic scrubber to rub off the turmeric stain. (Don’t use metal; it may scratch your kitchen cabinets.)Wipe away the residue with a damp cloth.
Wipe off with warm, soapy water
Removing turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets is not difficult, but it can take a few attempts to completely eliminate the stain. Don’t worry if you can’t remove all traces of the stain on your first try. As long as you keep in mind that your efforts will eventually pay off, you can maintain a positive attitude and get the job done.
- The first step is to wipe off any food particles that may be stuck to your cabinets. If this does not work, you can use a toothbrush or other small brush to gently scrub away any remaining residue from the area.
- There are many ways that you can use soap and water to remove turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets. One way is by using dish soap mixed with hot water and vinegar; another option would be using dish soap mixed with warm water and lemon juice.
- You may also want to try using baking soda for removing turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets. Baking soda has been shown to be effective at removing many different types of stains, including those caused by turmeric.
There are several ways to remove turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets depending on what supplies you have handy. As you can see, there are plenty of ways to remove turmeric stains from kitchen cabinets without the need for harsh chemicals. So, the next time you come across a difficult stain, give one of these ideas a try; they might just work.
To avoid turmeric stains, mix a non-toxic natural cleaner with warm water and wipe down the area. It will not only clean your kitchen cabinets but also prevent turmeric stains from occurring in the future. When the turmeric stain is on the wood, simply sand it clean. When the stain is set deeply in the wood, you will need to utilize a chemical stain remover first.